Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Summer Prep For the Move to NYC...
and an Open Studio this Saturday the 21st from 11am-5pm!

Less than two months away 'till the start of the fall semester at the NYAA. It's been an interesting and busy month to say the least, last blog entry was two weeks ago, and in that time I've been setting the schedule for the upcoming few weeks of packing, prepping and storing all my stuff before I take off.


I've grown more familiarized and comfortable with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and the like, so when I get to the Academy it'll be as seamless as possible to continue the updates and news.


Today the fall class options for the Academy were emailed so I'll be picking all my courses for the 1st semester and registering next week. The idea of setting up my schedule brings excitement for the prospect of putting everything aside for the next two years to just study and produce.
I can't wait...it seems surreal at this point.


In other news, I'll be having an Open Studio this coming weekend, Saturday July 21st from 11am - 5pm. Below is a link to my last newsletter with all the information. 
There'll be great music, nice COLD beverages and of course, lots of paintings, drawings and prints for your purchasing pleasure! 
Click HERE for the newsletter:


One of the pieces in the upcoming Open Studio
The Flower Goddess (Xochiquetzal) • 34" x 54" • Oil on Canvas • ©Ian Factor 2012

As soon as the open studio is over, I'll be packing almost everything up into storage. Then I'll be heading to NYC during the first week of August to look for an apartment / room to rent, I'll be there for just a couple of days, then back to Boston to take care of the rest of the packing and to transfer my studio here over to the new occupant. I'll then spend a couple of days in Maine to relax in the woods and by the lake, paint and set my mind for the transition. I plan to move to NYC in the 3rd week of August. Orientation at the Academy is September 10th.


In the meantime, I am working on a new portrait, I have included an image below, and plan to get it done in the next few days. The challenge with this one was the difficult light and subtle halftones across the face...a warm yellow incandescent light from inside of her office, above and to the subject's right and the cool blue outdoor overcast light streaming in through the window to the subject's left. This all created a strange and tricky effect through the middle of her face where the warm and cool lights collide. It's so subtle in the flesh tones, more obvious in her hair.



Newest Portrait - In Progress  • 40" x 30"  Oil on Canvas • ©Ian Factor 2012

I'll be continuing to head out for some plein air work even after my studio is packed up here as well. My French Easel and Pochade Box will be by my side during the move. In the next week or so I'll be posting a blog with a description and photos of my home-made Pochade Box, or "small travel paint box", for those who are so inclined to make your own and save 200-300 dollars from the price of buying one pre-made!


Don't forget you can always check in and see what's new on Twitter and Facebook by accessing the links in the window to the right...and NOW on Instagram, which is a great fun way to share photos immediately with the world. Just download the app to your smart phone and search for "ianfactor"...I'm just beginning to load photos there and as the semester begins and the new work and events start happening there will be many more photos and many more updates.


Hope to see everyone at the Open Studio this Saturday, and if you can't make it to that, stay in touch and keep checking in on the blog, I'll be updating it more regularly from NYC once I settle in.


See you soon, in person or in the virtual world.


ian



No comments:

Post a Comment